It's the new year and with 20/20 vision we are making our commitment to help serve our community with education and outreach. Did you know that home fires involving electrical failure or malfunction cause an estimated average of 440 civilian deaths and 1,250 civilian injuries each year ... with an estimated $1.3 billion in direct property damage a year. Nearly two of five fires (39%) involving electrical failure or malfunction occurred in the cold weather months from November through February. These fires were less likely to occur in the overnight hours between midnight and 8 a.m. (22% of total), but fires during this time period accounted for 60% of the civilian deaths.*
WHAT CAN YOU DO:
• Replace the Batteries in Your Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors
• Switch out Light Bulbs for Energy Efficient LEDs
• Always use the recommended wattage bulb in lamps and light fixtures
• Reset Your Ground-Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) Outlets
• Have a Whole-House Surge Protector Installed
• Reduce Your Overall Energy Consumption
• Always remove cords from a socket by grabbing the plug. Never tug on an appliance cord.
• Check hidden cords to make sure they are not frayed
• Call J2 Company to repair or maintain your facility, home or business today (731) 424-5944
* 2012-2016 report from NFPA research.